Columbia's Favorite Lo-Fi Rock and Roll Blog

Listenin' Lately Done

<

Albums of the Week

  • 01. The Pierced Arrows: Straight to the Heart
  • 02. Various Artists: Back to Mono: The Phil Spector Story
  • 03. Flipper: Live Target Video 1982
  • 04. The Kinks: Something Else
  • 05. Various Artists: The Streets of Dakar
  • 06. Exene Cervenka Live at Hickman High School...in real time.
  • 07. X: Wild Gift
  • 08. The Rolling Stones: Assorted Rare 45s
  • 09. Various Artists: Nigeria Special
  • 10. Random briliance by saxophonist James Carter
  • 11. The Kinks: The Best of the Kinks
  • 12. Moongarm and Norsefire Live at Ragtag Cinemacafe--real time
  • 13. Various Artists: The Indestructible Beat of Soweto
  • 14. Various Artists: Thunder Before Dawn--The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, Volume II
  • 15. Various Artists: The Rough Guide to the Music of the Sahara

GoodReads

Widget_logo

Friday, September 24, 2004

Nirvana Fixation

Just finished Charles Cross' Heavier than Heaven. Initially asked myself, "How much do I need to know about Kurt Cobain?" Had already read Mike Azerrad's Come as You Are and tons of articles and such, but came across a review of the Cross bio that made it seem pretty tantalizing. Finished it in about a week (365 pages--I teach during the day and plan and read school stuff at night, so that's tells you how compelled I was), and I'd say it's the literary version of Cobain's scarifying howl through "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" on Unplugged. You come away wondering how many little kids are as deeply psychologically wounded like Cobain, how long they carry it, and how in hell they cope. Not to say the author explains it all away that way; it's just as likely, I suppose, that the guy was fatally self-involved. But you'll be hurt yourself when you follow the story arc of a kid who wouldn't go to bed because he had so much fun being with Mom and Dad who grew up to so desperately court death in his final weeks you're afraid to turn the next page. Also, if you're like me, you may come away with a new appreciation (and almost certainly a different perspective) on Courtney Love. I'm convinced she didn't have anything to do at all, even psychologically, with his death. In fact, if it hadn't been for her, he'd have kicked the bucket after the first SNL gig. The ultimate compliment I can extend to Cross is the book literally drove me into a Nirvana listening fixation that has just gotten deeper since I finished the book last night. It's hard to believe we're already 15 years past their big moment, but, I'm telling you, the shit holds up--naw, it's grown. As I've listened from Bleach through a bunch of rarities and outtakes I cadged from the Internet, I've found myself constructing Robert Johnson analogies. Driven, tortured, naked yet fascinatingly allusive in their writing, frighteningly intense in their singing, and possessed of a self-effacing gallows sense of humor, they most certainly must be fellow travellers now. I hope some of my student rockers will read this book, because there's a bit of a Nirvana backlash snaking through the ranks ("shitty guitar player," "lyrics are stupid," "self-involved junkie," and "sell-out" are the common--and, for three of the four, ignant--complaints). I'm not sure reading this will change their minds. But it will enlighten them regarding the man's complexity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cross' book was authorized by Courtney, so she comes off quite well as a result. (I'd compare Cross' whitewash of Courtney to Albert Goldman's whitewash of Allen Klein in "The Lives of John Lennon") Having known both Kurt and Courtney (albeit Courtney FAR better than Kurt) I can detect the BS in Cross' book, but I do agree that he probably would have killed himself even if he'd never met Courtney and that she didn't make him screwed up. However, she was hardly a positive influence on him, and if he had gotten divorced from her his life and productivity would have been extended by a few years. She DEFINATELY did not kill him, though. Being a negative influence on someone does not legally constitute murder nor conspiracy to commit murder, and truthfully if it hadn't been her it would have probably been someone else. With Kurt's psychological makeup I couldn't see him in any sort of healthy relationship