Columbia's Favorite Lo-Fi Rock and Roll Blog

Listenin' Lately Done

<

Albums of the Week

  • 01. The Pierced Arrows: Straight to the Heart
  • 02. Various Artists: Back to Mono: The Phil Spector Story
  • 03. Flipper: Live Target Video 1982
  • 04. The Kinks: Something Else
  • 05. Various Artists: The Streets of Dakar
  • 06. Exene Cervenka Live at Hickman High School...in real time.
  • 07. X: Wild Gift
  • 08. The Rolling Stones: Assorted Rare 45s
  • 09. Various Artists: Nigeria Special
  • 10. Random briliance by saxophonist James Carter
  • 11. The Kinks: The Best of the Kinks
  • 12. Moongarm and Norsefire Live at Ragtag Cinemacafe--real time
  • 13. Various Artists: The Indestructible Beat of Soweto
  • 14. Various Artists: Thunder Before Dawn--The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, Volume II
  • 15. Various Artists: The Rough Guide to the Music of the Sahara

GoodReads

Widget_logo

Friday, September 24, 2004

And another thing....

My buddy Mark Anthony (former webmaster of Nashville's The Rawk and bassmaster of the Creeping Cruds) has a theory that the shittier the political times, the better the music produced by those times. Thinking about CCR's best work, which articulated the joys, sorrows, and frustrations of the regular guy (not to say the poor man, really), you'd think there'd be current artists articulating the same now, but the most recent slab o' music coming over the musical horizon, The Future Soundtrack of America, just voices the, uh, semi-elite upper middle class (Bright Eyes, Fountains of Wayne, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Death Cab for Cutie) whining--nice as it sometimes is--about the stumblin' state of the union. After hearing it, and basically enjoying it, I got to thinking, is this what the ideal alternative is? Nah. So...anybody want to weigh in and prove Mr. Anthony's theory by selecting undeniable platters from 2000-2004? I'm betting you can't.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. O, this is Matt Rhodes and I think I might have just the album to prove this theory true: The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat . . . That album is what the ideal alternative is. If you haven't heard it yet, hear it. If you have, give it another chance. It's my pick for best of '04 so far. I know you probably disagree with me here, but I've invested a lot of hope in The White Stripes to concoct something that'll blow us away. I thought Elephant was an outstanding album, and still do, but it plays like a preamble to some bigger, better, historical, important, etc. album. Elliott Smith is pretty damn good too.

Anonymous said...

I forgot about the political part of this theory, but I do imagine that none of the above mentioned band's members will be casting votes for Bush.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Strummer's gone, now Hunter. I guess I just wasn't made for these times. Yer in my thoughts. xo DIM STAR GEN'RAL