Columbia's Favorite Lo-Fi Rock and Roll Blog

Listenin' Lately Done

<

Albums of the Week

  • 01. The Pierced Arrows: Straight to the Heart
  • 02. Various Artists: Back to Mono: The Phil Spector Story
  • 03. Flipper: Live Target Video 1982
  • 04. The Kinks: Something Else
  • 05. Various Artists: The Streets of Dakar
  • 06. Exene Cervenka Live at Hickman High School...in real time.
  • 07. X: Wild Gift
  • 08. The Rolling Stones: Assorted Rare 45s
  • 09. Various Artists: Nigeria Special
  • 10. Random briliance by saxophonist James Carter
  • 11. The Kinks: The Best of the Kinks
  • 12. Moongarm and Norsefire Live at Ragtag Cinemacafe--real time
  • 13. Various Artists: The Indestructible Beat of Soweto
  • 14. Various Artists: Thunder Before Dawn--The Indestructible Beat of Soweto, Volume II
  • 15. Various Artists: The Rough Guide to the Music of the Sahara

GoodReads

Widget_logo

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Jenny Lewis Has Finally Weakened My Knees

Because I am an old fart, I remain stoic in the face of "Next Big Things." Because I am an old fart with almost 6,000 records and CDs in the house, I am usually wise in doing so. The hype surrounding Jenny Lewis set off my bullshit detectors for two reasons: she is by most definitions (not necessarily my own) hot, which fucks with listeners perceptions, and she's indie, and--I do not make this observation flippantly, but after much research--indie lowers the bar for hot, breathy chicks that write or perform a little idiosyncratically. If I were a nihilist, Regina Spektor and that harp-playing scar on the face of rock and roll (I cannot even utter her name) would be six feet under in some swamp. So...though I have to admit I liked some of her Rilo Kiley lines...I kept Miss Lewis at arm's length. This despite a student's passionate exaltations--a student obviously inspired, in her writing and guitar playing, by Miss Lewis herself.

Well, against my better judgment (I thought), I put Lewis' solo Rabbit-Fur Coat disc in the pickup CD player to just assure I was being fair, and had my hat knocked in the creek. Mostly, it's her writing--damn near free association, but logical and rhyming and specific and imaginative and funny and evocative. Her voice is richer; I have an unrestrained hatred for Anglo geishas, but she doesn't push that button much (a few times, yes), but rather relies on a rich, really sexy, soulful delivery that doesn't need coos and whispers to make a man pay attention. I hear she's bringing sexy back with the new Rilo Kiley, but--late as it is--I can tell you she's sold me, and I WILL be paying attention from now on.

1 comment:

Carl Winslow Show said...

Have to agree with the JL post, but I just listened to this CWS and it is by far the worst episode ever. Please remove it for the sake of the life! I don't know what we were doing when we recorded that.